Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Journey - Mary Oliver Modified

The Journey

One day you finally knew what you had to do

 and began,

though the voices around you
kept shouting
their  advice - - -
the whole  lot of them
began to tremble
and you felt the old tug
at your ankles.
'Mend my life for me for you cannot leave us now!'
each voice cried.
But you didn't stop.
You knew what you had to do,
though the wind pried
with its stiff fingers
at the very foundations - - -
It was already late
enough, and a wild night,
and the road full of fallen
branches and stones.
But little by little,
as you left their voices behind,
the stars began to burn
through the sheets of clouds,
and there was a new voice,
which you slowly
recognized as your own,
that kept you company
as you rode deeper and deeper
into the world,
determined to do
 the only thing you knew how to do
and save the only life you knew as your own

Each turn as the sky burned off the fog
Each beat on the pavement
The Stars shone through blazing hot
in the night sky
Coffee, Rice, Saddle, Bridle
I wanted the past to go away,
I wanted to leave it, like another country;
I wanted my life to close, and open
like a hinge, like a wing, like the part of the song
where it falls
down over the rocks: an explosion, a discovery;

I wanted to hurry into the work of my life;
I wanted to know,whoever I was,
I was alive for a little while
and I know now that out here, I truly am...

No comments:

Post a Comment